Legend holds the Pizza Margherita was named in 1889 for the Queen consort of Italy, Margherita of Savoy, by the chef Raffaelle Esposito of Pizzeria Brandi; its festive colors reflect the three colors of the Italian flag. This recipe features La Centrale’s signature pizza dough, which has been proofed for 30 hours, feel free to let it proof for another day for added complexity to the crust.
Eatery: Pizza e Pasta
Serves: 1 Pie
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
8oz La Centrale Pizza Dough
4oz Cherry Tomatoes
3oz Fresh Basil
6tsp La Centrale Mozzarella
TT La Centrale EVOO
- Pre-heat oven at 500 degrees Fahrenheit with a pizza stone (or baking sheet).
- In the meantime, shape the dough into a ball. On a floured surface, shape the dough into a flat disc using your fingertips. Working from the center, push the dough outwards while spreading your fingers, making the disc larger. Pick up the dough. Turn it over and repeat until your dough is about 1 foot in diameter. Lay the dough over a floured pizza peel or a pizza dish (make sure there is enough flour beneath so the pizza won’t stick).
- Spread the tomatoes, cut in halves, with the mozzarella and fresh basil atop the pizza. Keep the basil underneath the cheese so it won’t burn during baking.
- Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over the pizza and transfer it into the oven.
- Change the setting of your own to broil and cook the pizza.